top of page

Places of interest

Torno is one of the most characteristic countries bordering on Lake Como, the country has retained the forms of the ancient village in the steep narrow streets that wind in the old houses, restaurants, cafes and beautiful monuments make it a pearl of this Lake.

Church San Giovanni


The Church was built in Romanesque Gothic in particular is to highlight the splendid portal. Built in the twelfth century, it was restored and enlarged in 1494. Here comes a splendid historical events linked to the discovery of one of the nails of the Passion of Jesus: after the conquest of Jerusalem in 1099, an archbishop Teutonic said Allemann, who had taken part in the First Crusade, came into possession of one of the nails of the cross of Jesus. On the way back home, arrived in Como to go up the Lario, ever to Germany.

Allemanno he decided to seek refuge in Torno, because it was not affected by the riots of Como. After spending the night, resumed the next morning browsing, but was blocked by a heavy storm sudden. When the storm subsided, he wanted to continue his journey, but yet another strong storm gave him no respite, and so on, until the bishop did not realize that these were clear signals divine, that suggested to lay the relics on the site and specifically in beautiful Church S. Giovanni.

To know more....

Massi Avelli


The Massi Avelli, mysterious tombs shaped tub carved into boulders and generally oriented east-west. These burials, most likely intended for persons of high rank, are a peculiarity of the area. Issue of dating, the boulders tombs are attributed by recent studies arc of time between the end of the fifth century and the end of the sixth century AD, between the fall of the Western Roman Empire (476) and the occupation by the Lombards in the Como area. I'll be back in the area there is a large concentration of these particular rocks: Avello of the Maas, the Avello of Rasina, the de Avello the Piazz, the Avello of Negrenza and Avello Cascine Negrenza.

To know more....

Church Santa Tecla


The church of Santa Tecla is near the harbor in a quiet and pleasant; recently restored, in it you can see the remains of frescoes by Bartolomeo De Benzi and Andrea De Passeris.

The origin of the structure is unknown.

It is believed that the first building was built in the Middle Ages and in the Romanesque style, as can be witnessed from the bell tower, which was modified over the centuries, undergoing renovations and expansions.

In addition, the church housed for several centuries the first known work of the painter Andrea De Passeris Torno: the Assumption of the Virgin, dated 1488, now preserved in the deposits of the Pinacoteca di Brera in Milan.

To know more....



The steamer "Savoia" This vessel can well be considered one of the last of the great Italian steamers.

The steamer is set June 7, 1926 by the workers at the construction site Odero Dervio.

On 28 May 1927 the "Savoy", under the command of captain Manfredo Stoppani, has the honor to welcome on board the King of Italy Vittorio Emanuele III. The sovereign, who arrived in Como for the centenary of the death of Volta.

To know more....


Villa Pliniana


"In front, between the cypresses, the lake's sovereign / superb memories, appears Plinian" is how the English poet Shelley described Plinian villa.

The villa is a Plinian villa sort originally in 1573, located in wooded cove of the lake, dated in the period of Romanticism and Decadent Europe, not excluding the legendary aura due to five centuries of history and to its geographic location difficult to access.

The villa was home to numerous characters including monarchs, scientists, musicians, poets and writers: Napoleon, Joseph II, Francis I and Queen Margherita of Savoy, Alessandro Volta, Vincenzo Bellini, Giacomo Puccini, Stendhal, Ugo Foscolo, Alessandro Manzoni and Antonio Fogazzaro, that here was inspired by the novel Malombra.

To know more....

bottom of page